Saturday, October 24, 2009

My Personal Statement

Youth empowerment, community development and communication; particularly in new media encompass my entire being. From an early age, I was taught that service above self is very important for one’s personal growth and development, more importantly the development of community. For some, this may just be simply giving money to help fund an important social cause, but for me it is giving my intellect, creativity, time and energy.

As a new media communicator and campaigner, I want to pursue formal studies in social development and communication so I can deepen my knowledge and obtain practical skills in international development issues, the role of the media in advocacy and lobbying, development and how best to inform supporters of particular social causes as well as build alliances and networks.

As a child my grandmother gave me containers of food every evening to take to an ederly man, unknown to more than half of our community. I wasn’t sure why she made me do it nor did I have any idea how she knew of him. I found myself enjoying the task of taking supplies to this man who had no relations to me. I started arriving home from school earlier because I was no longer just the delivery guy. I started hanging around, feeding and talking with this stranger with whom the only relation was through my grandmother. It was then that the concept of giving and showing hpw just a little love can bring a smile, hope or even turn around an individual’s entire life.

Today, I have become even more involved in nation building. From just a young boy who believed in service of self and community development to being an advocate, a youth leader and youth and community empowerment and development enthusiast. I believe that I should not continue with mere passion and interest in development, but obtain the theoretical knowledge to support my passion and to allow me to help Jamaica become the place of choice to live, work, raise families and do business by the year 2030. I have decided to engage in a course that empowers and develops my capacity both in development of community and its constituents. By doing this course I will be able to help in making Jamaica a cohesive, orderly and just society where its children and youth are empowered to take charge of their own lives and the opportunities available, so they will be better able to challenge the status quo of complacency and hold those in authority accountability in the areas of development especially to youth.

Since completing my first degree, I have been keen not to pursue futher studies in any area but one that is in line with my personal interests and will enhance my career decisions. I want to be able to understand clearly research methods, development theories and develop communication mechanisms to tackle the social ills that have been depleting the social fabric of Jamaica.


Jaevion Nelson (left), programme officer, Violence Prevention Alliance, who will be attending University of Wales, Swansea pursuing MSc. in social development and community and Stacy-Ann Robinson, foreign service officer, Ministry of Foreign Affairs who will pursue MSc studies in international development and environment at University of Manchester in conversation with Brendan Gill, political officer, British High Commission. (Photos: Grace-Ann Eldemire) [Source: http://www.sunheraldja.com/2009/09/chevening-scholars-farewell/]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive