Monday, September 2, 2013

Am I Atheist because I Don't Know My Roots?

People have come up with all sorts of ideas about me because I am so opinionated(?). 

Apparently, because I have finally decided to extricate myself from theistic ideas and be open about it, I have suddenly done away with who I am, how I grew up (in the church) and forgot what god has done for me. I don't recall god helping me to get A in an exam that I prayed to him about. Perhaps my faith wasn't strong enough or my faith with the necessary work was non-existent. You know the bible has an answer for everything. 

It bothers me greatly that people have conjured their own ideas about intelligence, success and theism and expect people to abide by their own codes. Seemingly, when people express themselves and challenge the status quo in society as well as contest the notion of a god (who created the heaven and the earth) they are somehow guilty of being on a "high horse"--of climbing a ladder and forgetting where they are coming from.

The truth is people, when I finally baptised (in July 1998), I had questions about god. Many things in the bible didn't make sense to me. I was uncomfortable with the idea of many different christians. When I made the decision, it was shortly after one of my closest friends got baptised. I didn't think he should have before me. I felt I needed to be baptised as well to maintain that bond that we have. 

I was always questioning god. The bible stories weren't coherent. The messages at church were too confusing. I remember in third form, I prayed to god asking him to help me to stop questioning him. After all, this is the kind of society we grow up in where you shouldn't question authority--even if they are unseen. I remember being at church camp and praying around the bonfire that I don't want to be questioning god and even as I prayed and tossed my confessions and "sins" in the fire, I knew it was only symbolic. I knew deep down that this won't do a thing. 

I finally had the opportunity to understand myself in a free and accepting space---outside the coffers of guilt, of misinformation, of people determining how you should be your authentic self. You see, I didn't arrive at this position because I got a few silly awards, studied overseas, have a job, etc. The thoughts were always there brewing. All my life, my views were percolating---I just didn't have the language and courage to express myself. 

While I question the notion of a god, I respect you as a christian and I expect that you respect my non-theistic ideas. I am open to conversation about both ideas that is respectful and constructive. I don't subscribe to the idea that because you feel you are of the dominant idea then I should somehow suppress my views. I don't care what sort of authority you may have. 

I have a worldview that is different from yours. It doesn't in anyway incite hostility towards anyone. My views do not infringe on the rights of anyone so there is really no need for people to tell me how I should live. There is no sense really in you convincing me about your god when there are so many other gods out there.

My questions about god and his prowess isn't dependent on my achievements. It's rather silly that people would think this is the reason people come out as non-theistic. It's unbecoming that you would expect me to be who you imagined me to be when I have to live my own life. The banter about me is uncalled for and unproductive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive